It’s almost time for my first departure to VMworld in San Francisco. As most of you know this is my first, hopefully of many, VMworld. I’ve got a lot going on – so much that I had to map my time out in a spreadsheet. What i’m looking forward to at VMworld:
- Some definitive information about Marvin or Whatever. We’ve been hearing and reading about Marvin being some type of hyper-converged offering from VMware, but not much else. VMware has always stated they are a software company, not a hardware company. So I’m expecting some type of partnership or certification process for hardware vendors. It’s going to be interesting for people like Nutanix as this could open up that market in a vastly different way.
- CloudVolumes. Oh man, VMware recently announced this acquisition with a lot of social media buzz. I see this as VMware’s answer to the container craze being drive by, largely, Docker. I’m sure we’ll see a new name. Maybe vAppVols?
- EMC RecoverPoint for VMs aka Project Mercury. Project Mercury is no big secret. It’s about how EMC brings it’s DVR-like replication to the VMware environment at a VM level. This is what EMC is hoping to bring RecoverPoint out of the hardware and into the pure software world. I’m curious how this plays into Zerto’s progress in the market.
- Virtual Volumes. We’ve been reading about vVols for years. Lots of sessions going on around this topic now that it’s in the open vSphere beta. How this ties into our storage arrays and what impact is that to our I/O intensive workloads is going to be very interesting with all the storage vendors this year.
- vBrownBag. At the Indy VMUG a few weeks ago I spent a fair amount of times watching short tech talks put on by vBrownBag. At VMworld this year, in the Hang Space, we’ll be seeing a lot of them. Check out the schedule.
- Community. This trip is being funded out of my own pocket, which means I’ll be eating anything I can find for free and staying where I can find a pillow. Why do I do that? Community. I’ve met from amazing people in this community. I’ve had options to meet a lot of them face-to-face, and looking forward to doing even more of that. Find me in the hang space or just track me down (I’m easily spotted!) and lets connect.
Thats my list. I’m excited. My plane leaves Sunday morning and I arrive in time for lunch and some other events. Hope to see everyone!
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.